Terms and conditions – Camping Iceland
Obligations of the renter
- The renter agrees to the provisions of the lease and has received a copy of it.
- The renter shall be 20 years of age and possess a valid driving license for at least one year before the date of the rental.
- Camping equipment, in these terms and conditions, means: tents, roofbox, mattresses, stoves, blankets, tables, chairs, lamps, first aid kit, cutlery, dishes, cookery set, kettles, thermos, wash tub, peg hammer, ladle, tin opener, coffee funnel, cheese cutter, stairs, electric cooler, power inverter, mobile phones, GPS, portable WIFI, baby seats, cushions, travel grills, and other items rented out, other than the vehicle.
- The renter is responsible for the camping equipment from the time of contract signing until the camping equipment has been registered as returned in Camping Iceland’s booking system. The Renter is fully liable for the camping equipment, for damage it may sustain, damage it may cause others, items or vehicles, and obligates to pay such damage in full.
- The renter is liable for any damage caused to camping equipment or from the use of the camping equipment. Such damage will be charged to the renter’s credit card provided at the beginning of the rental period.
- The renter may not smoke in the tent. If there is evidence of smoking the renter shall be responsible for a cleaning fee of a minimum of 300 EUR. Such cost will be charged to the renter’s credit card provided at the beginning of the rental period.
- The camping equipment may never, under any circumstance, be taken out of Iceland.
- The renter is responsible for all objects transported or left in the tent and Camping Iceland shall not be responsible for any theft of items that might occur.
- The camping equipment may not be loaned or subleased against payment.
The renter shall return the camping equipment according to the conditions below:
- With all attachments and extra equipment and anything else present in/on the vehicle at start of the rental, in the same condition except for wear and tear resulting from normal use. Should any items need replacing or repairing the renter agrees that any such cost will be charged to the renter’s credit card provided at the beginning of the rental period.
- At the time, date and location agreed upon at the beginning of the rental, unless other arrangements have been made with Camping Iceland. If the camping equipment is not returned at the correct time or place, the renter agrees to pay any costs that might occur from reclaiming the camping equipment and transporting it back to the Camping Iceland office in Hafnarfjörður. Such cost will be charged to the renter’s credit card provided at the beginning of the rental period.
- If the renter does not return the camping equipment at the predetermined time according to the rental agreement, Camping Iceland reserves the right to reclaim the camping equipment by themselves or with the help of the police, at the renter’s expense, along with a rent fee for every day begun after the contract expiry. Any extension to the time-frame of the rental agreement is subject to the consent of Camping Iceland. Such expenses will be charged to the renter’s credit card provided at the beginning of the rental period.
Obligations of Camping Iceland
- Camping Iceland agrees to the provisions of the lease and has received a copy of it.
- Camping Iceland will supply the camping equipment, at the correct time and date and in a good and clean condition.
- If the camping equipment malfunctions for reasons not at fault of the renter, Camping Iceland will replace the camping equipment with a comparable camping equipment or better, as soon as possible, unless repairs can be made quickly and without further interruptions to the renter. As Camping Iceland will strive to resolve any such issues quickly, any compensation for accommodation will be offered according to Icelandic Travel Law.
- Camping Iceland guarantees to have a valid liability insurance for its business operation.
- No insurance covers the damage to the camping equipment, the roof box or the extras. If lost, damaged or stolen the lessee will refund Camping Iceland the purchasing price of the product/equipment. any such cost will be charged to the renter’s credit card provided at the beginning of the rental period.
Payments – Reservations and Cancellations
- At the time of booking the renter is required to enter a valid credit card number for reservation and validation purposes. A 25% deposit, or the full amount of the rental fee must be paid with a credit at the time of booking.
- Payment of the rental fee shall be made in full at the time of pickup and the signing of the rental agreement. The deciding currency is the Euro (EUR).
- A credit card imprint will be taken at the start of all rentals for security reasons, even when a voucher covers the cost of the rental. This credit card imprint may be used to pay all extra charges, including damages or any cost due to the use of the camping equipment.
- 4. If a cancellation is made 2 weeks prior to the starting date of the booking, a cancellation fee of 100 € is charged. If the booking is cancelled less than 14 days before the proposed start of the rental period, Camping Iceland reserves the right to charge the full rental fee.
- If the renter does not show up at the start of the rental period and has not contacted Camping Iceland to report any changes to his time schedule, Camping Iceland reserves the right to charge the credit card for the full amount of the total rental fee.
- Camping Iceland has no obligations to renters who show up later than 24 hours after the proposed start of rental period
- If the renter wishes to change the rental period, such changes should be made in writing no later than 7 days.
- The renter’s signature to this rental agreement equal’s the renter’s signature to credit-card withdrawals of the payments that Camping Iceland charges against the renter’s credit card and which Camping Iceland should rightfully receive on grounds of the provisions of this rental agreement.
- The renter confirms with his or her signature to this rental agreement that he or she received, camping equipment and attachments in sound condition and has pointed out any inconsistencies to a member of Camping Iceland staff.
- This rental agreement shall always be in the vehicle while at the responsibility of the renter.
- Additions and amendments to the conditions and provisions of this rental agreement shall be made in writing.
- If the renter breaches this agreement then in no way shall Camping Iceland become responsible for reimbursement of the rental fee, in part or full, or endure any related costs as a result of the breach.
- Icelandic law applies to agreements made on the basis of terms stated above. This includes any claims for compensation that might be made. This applies both to the basis for and the calculation of compensation. The same applies to claims for damage based on liability outside this agreement. If legal disputes arise concerning the lease agreement, they will be heard before the renter’s legal venue.
- Any disputes between the parties to the rental agreement can be submitted to the Arbitration committee of the Icelandic Consumer´s Association and the Icelandic Travel Industry Association.
We reserve the right to substitute vehicles when the reserved car type is not available. Reservation of vehicles are subject to availability from our suppliers.
Age and driving license:
The lessee/driver of a passenger car or a jeep has to be at least 20 years old and driver license held for at least one year.
- The lessee/driver of a bigger vehicles which according to law at any given time requires extended driver license shall present the appropriate license at the start of rental.
Method of payment:
- Cash rental deposit: Estimated rental charges. Lessees valid credit card required. Visa & MasterCard credit cards accepted. A credit card imprint will be taken at the start of all rentals for security reasons, even when a voucher covers the cost of the rental. This credit card imprint may be used to pay all extra charges, extra insurance, parking tickets, damages, tank refill or any cost due to the use of the rented vehicle.
Obligations of the lessee:
- The lessee agrees to the provisions of the lease and has received a copy of it.
The lessee will return the vehicle:
- With all attachments, including tires, tools, documents, maps and other items that were in or on the vehicle at the start of rental, in the same condition as upon reception, except for normal wear and tear from use. If something is missing the lessee agrees that the cost price of individual items that are absent when the vehicle is returned will be charged to his or her credit card. The same applies if extra parts that came with the vehicle are missing upon the vehicles return or if returned in an unsatisfactory condition, i.e. these items will be charged to the lessee’s credit card.
- On the date and time specified by the lease, unless otherwise agreed later.
- The rental car will have fuel on, 8/8, 7/8, 6/8, 5/8, 4/8. etc. The lessee shall return the vehicle with the same fuel level, or a charge will be made for the missing liters.
- If the lessee violates the terms of this contract or does not return the automobile at the time agreed according to lease, or does not declare his intention to extend the lease, the lessor or the police are authorized to repossess the vehicle without further notice and at the lessee’s cost. Extending the lease is dependent on the consent of the lessor. If the lessee returns the vehicle 1 hour or later after the lease has expired, the lessor is authorized to demand up to 24-hours rental under the terms of the lease. For every day that begins thereafter, lessor may collect all charges as per the lessor’s pricelist.
- Driving rental cars on roads or tracks with no road number is forbidden. Passenger cars and 2wd vehicles are strictly forbidden on roads that are marked with an F on public maps, as well as driving Kjolur (road 35), Kaldidalur (road 550) or Strandavegur (643). Driving on F-roads is only allowed on 4X4 (four-wheel drive) jeeps that the lessor agrees as appropriate for being driven on such roads. A breach of this article authorizes lessor to collect fines from the lessee, equaling the amount of own-risk as stated in lessor’s pricelist at any given time. The aforementioned provision on fines does not affect the lessee’s liability regarding damage.
The vehicle shall be handled and driven carefully. Only those named as drivers on the first page of the agreement are authorized to drive the automobile. If lessee drops off the vehicle at different location than stated in this rental agreement the lessor is allowed to charge lessee according to the lessor’s pricelist for the cost caused from fetching the vehicle. If the vehicle is not returned with a full fuel tank lessor is authorized to charge the lessee for refueling the vehicle according to the lessor’s pricelist. The lessee is liable for damage resulting from use of the automobile for which no compensation will be paid by the insurance company. This includes damages to the automobile and/or injury to passengers due to the following:
- Off-road driving, for example, in paths and tracks, on beaches, in areas only accessible during low tide, or in other trackless areas.
- Vehicle use that contravenes Icelandic law and/or the provisions of the lease or driving under the influence of any intoxicants.
- Driving in or across rivers or any kind of waterways. Such driving is totally the responsibility of the lessee.
- Driving in banks of snow and ice.
- In the event of a collision or accident the lessee shall immediately notify the appropriate police authorities as well as the lessor of the incident, and the lessee may not leave the scene before the police have arrived.
- The number of kilometers (km) that the vehicle is driven while the lease is in force is determined by reading a normal odometer supplied with the vehicle by the manufacturer. The lessee shall notify the lessor as soon as possible if the odometer is out of order or stops functioning during the term of the lease.
The lessor is not responsible for the disappearance of or damage to property that the lessee or any other party leaves in or transports with the vehicle. The lessee agrees to pay the lessor, upon request:
- A deposit amounting to the estimated cost of hiring the car.
- Any and all expenses incurred by the lessor if he has to bring the vehicle back to his premises, in the event that it has been left somewhere without supervision, without regard to condition of the vehicle, the roads or the weather.
- The lessee is not authorized to have repairs done or make changes to the vehicle or its accessories, or to put the vehicle up as any kind of security, without the prior consent of the lessor.
- The lessee is liable for all parking meter charges and fines for breaking traffic laws.
- The lessor reserves the right to collect a charge from the lessee, charged against his or her credit card, according to lessor’s price list, lessor has to pay fines for the lessee and/or inform the authorities about the lessee because of traffic violations. The lessee is not authorized to use the vehicle to transport passengers for payment, lend it to others, or sublease it.
Obligations of the Lessor:
- The lessor undertakes to supply the vehicle at the agreed time and see to that it meets the demands made for it.
- If the vehicle malfunctions, the lessor is responsible to fix the vehicle as soon as possible.
- The lessor shall inform the lessee of the content of the agreement particularly as regards the obligations that the lessee undertakes by signing it.
- The lessor shall inform the foreign lessee regarding Icelandic traffic regulations, traffic signs, and regulations banning off-road driving. The lessor shall particularly point out the dangers stemming from animals on the roads.
- If the lessor wants to limit the use of the vehicle with regard to its equipment and/or conditions, this shall be done in writing when the lease is signed. The lessor undertakes to maintain valid liability insurance for his business operations.
- The lease sum/rental fee includes mandatory vehicle insurance, including liability insurance and accident insurance for the driver and the owner.
- Third-party liability insurance will consist of the amount stipulated by Icelandic law at any given time.
- The lessee recieves an accident (CDW) insurance. This policy will specify the amount deductible in each instance of loss.
- The lessee also recieves a basic windshield insurance. This policy will specify the amount deductible in each instance of a broken or chipped windshield.
- Each own-risk only applies to one incident. In instances of more damage that obviously did not occur at one and the same time, each own-risk CDW applies to only one incident.
This Collision Damage Waiver – CDW does not cover:
- Intentional damage or damage due to gross negligence on the part of the driver.
- Damage resulting from the driver being under the influence of alcohol, stimulants or sedatives, or in any other way incapable of driving the vehicle in safe manner.
- Damage due to race or test driving.
- Damage due to war, revolution, civil unrest or riots.
- Damage done by animals.
- Holes burned into seats, carpets or mats.
- Damage affecting only wheels, tires, suspension, batteries, glass (other than windows), radios, or loss by theft of parts of the vehicle and damage resulting from this.
- Damage caused by driving on rough roads to the vehicles transmission, drive, other parts that are in or attached to the chassis; damage to the chassis resulting from scraping the bottom on rough roads as a result of ridges being left by the road graders; stones lodged in the road surface or on the shoulder of the road. The same applies to damage occurring when stones are thrown up, striking the underside of the vehicle during driving.
- Damages resulting from driving in places where vehicle traffic is banned, such as paths, tracks, banks of snow, ice, unbridged rivers or streams, beaches, places only accessible at low tide, or other trackless areas.
- Damages caused by sand, gravel, ash, pumice, or other kinds of earth material being blown onto the vehicle.
- Damages caused by wind catching the doors, resulting in body or structural damage to the doors or their surrounding structure.
- If the vehicle is transported by sea, no compensation will be paid for damage caused by sea spray/seawater.
- Damage to 4×2 vehicles caused by driving on roads marked with an F in public maps as well as driving on Kjolur (Road 35), Kaldidalur (road 550) or Strandavegur (643).
- Damage caused by driving under low obsticles. Such as, low bridges, tunnels, parking garages, etc.
- Lessors loss because of the vehicle being stolen.
- Water damage to the vehicle.
- In other instances, reference is made to the general conditions for accident/all-risks insurance.
- Insurance: Third party liability insurance shall be equivalent to the amount stipulated by Icelandic law each time. The lessee is totally responsible for any and all damage to the car. By purchasing Collision Damage Waiver – CDW the lessee can insure himself against the disbursement of the driver liability; the amount of the own-risk fee is according to lessor’s price list at given time. If lessee has already purchased CDW insurance, he/she is able to purchase SCDW insurance and by doing so further lower the own-risk. The lessee is liable for damages to the vehicle for an amount up to 3000€. which will be charged to the credit card in case of incurred damages. If the lessee has bought the additional SCDW insurance the self-risk is lowered to 500€.
- However, no insurance covers damages to the underside of the rented vehicle or damages due to driving through rivers or any kind of waterfall. CDW and SCDW do not cover such damages. Such damages are always the lessee’s full responsibility. Please see more about insurance in the articles here above.
- The Lessee confirms with his or her signature to this rental agreement that he or she received the vehicle and attachments in sound condition.
- Signing this rental agreement is equal to lessee’s signature for a credit card transaction due to payments of charges which lessor charges to lessee’s credit card and is rightfully claimed by lessor according to provisions of this rental agreement.
- This rental agreement shall always be in the vehicle while at the responsibility of the lessee.
- Additions and amendments to the conditions and provisions of this lease agreement shall be made in writing.
- Icelandic law applies to agreements made on the basis of terms stated above. This includes any claims for compensation that might be made. This applies both to the basis for and the calculation of compensation. The same applies to claims for damage based on liability outside this agreement. If legal disputes arise concerning the lease agreement, they will be heard before the lessor’s legal venue.
- It should be pointed out that disputes between the parties to the lease agreement can be submitted to the Arbitration committee of the Icelandic Consumers Association and the Icelandic Travel Industry Association.